Small Rowdy Crowd > Big Serious Crowd

So I wanted to talk about the two plays I saw this weekend, Macbeth and The Tempest. Cassandra and Averill already covered the Grassroots Shakespeare Company production of Macbeth pretty well, and Averill compared it to The Tempest. So I figured I would share my personal experience and what it taught me, more than differences in the productions themselves.

First off, I loved Macbeth. I actually went twice, the second time because I told my roommate about it and she wanted to go. The inter-activeness of the play really brought it to life. I didn't even mind that it was freezing and I stood for 2 hours. The second time I cheated a little bit, because I knew what would happen, and stood right in the center of the groundling area against the stage(the spot where the actors messed with the groundlings the most). I'm really glad I got to go twice, it was a completely different play because there was a different crowd. And the second time(on closing night) they even brought out the "Queen of England" to try to please her with their performance. Lines that I thought were scripted turned out to be the actors playing off the audience, and times when I thought the actor was making a side joke and messing with the audience turned out to be actual lines. I could see that the actors were really having fun with it. And they were awesome at reacting to whatever the groundlings threw at them. Literally, the girl next to me threw a piece of bread at Macbeth... And he ate it.

Going to see the Tempest at the Pioneer Theater was a completely different experience. Not better or worse, just different. The stage felt so disconnected and far away(because it was). And the actors seemed like they were pretending the audience wasn't there. If anything had happened in the audience, I get the feeling the actors would have just plowed on and pretended nothing happened. It felt like I was observing events through a window, rather than being a part of them. Of course there's nothing wrong with a serious, formal play, but after being yelled at and spit on the night before, I had a hard time staying awake in a dark room with the stage a football field away.

Both productions were extremely well done and did what they intended to do. I just tend to lean towards the informal, Shakespearean way of doing things: "Let's throw stuff at the groundlings and get people involved." After all, we learn from doing, not seeing. For example, my war cry improved tenfold this weekend.

4 comments:

  • acorkin | November 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM

    I love the war cry.
    I agree completely. IT's a very different feel, and there's a place for both. it's just hard to come from one crazy fun one to the other more formal one...

    p.s.I'd never seen that poster before, and it makes that cast look 10X more legitimate than probably what they were. It makes them look like they had a set and costumes etc... which is not TOTALLY true. BUt i love it!

  • Cassandra | November 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM

    I wonder how Shakespeare would feel if he saw these two plays, and how most of his plays are shown more like "a football field away" than "Let's throw stuff at the groundlings..." nowadays?

  • Martina S. | November 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

    That's a good question. In some ways I think he would be frustrated that the spirit and energy of his works has been lost in a sense, but I also feel like he would understand that theater is about entertaining the masses. So if the "football field away" versions work, I think Shakespeare would be okay with it. Although we'd have to explain electricity to him first... Or else he would just accuse us of witchcraft;)

  • Erik | November 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM

    I would love to see his reaction to the 21st Century to be sure; I think the funniest thing would be to have him watch TV, or a production like the new Tempest movie that just came out. I wish we knew more about him and his personality so that we could make better guesses about how he'd react. I think personally that he would most certainly enjoy all of it, or find it entertaining, at least.

Post a Comment