The Merchant of Venice

Honestly, I am so excited to read this play. The plot summary was so confusing and twisted that I'm not even going to try and sum it up here, but this play had me laughing just reading the summary. What I got from it was a double wedding, debts payed in a pound of flesh, women dressed up as lawyers, and a Jew forced to convert to Christianity or give over half his property. I can't wait.

The only slightly disappointing thing about this comedy that I can see is it's romance. Like I talked about before, Shakespeare really only has two kinds of love. This one seems to fall right into the "love at first sight, meant to be together" category. Not once, but twice in this play do two people fall so easily in love it's like fiction. Oh wait....

I am, however, thrilled for the villain. His name is Shylock, and the Urban Dictionary definitions of his name are quite fantastic. Which is funny, because I didn't know Shakespeare was urban. But basically he is a ruthless, Jewish, money-lender. When the merchant Antonio takes out a loan for his friend, he promises Shylock a pound of his flesh if he does not pay the money back in full. When Antonio's ships are lost Shylock tries to cash in his debt. Can you think of any better villain than one who demands a pound of your flesh? I didn't think so.

As far as movie adaptations of the play, there have been at least 18 that I could find. (Well, that IMDb could find.) They all seem okay, but nothing really stuck out. There was a 2004 production that was looking pretty good, and it's the only one that's been really heavily advertised. I tried looking it up on the BYU library website to no avail, only to realize that it's rated R. Shucks... So I'll have to keep working on that. But I'm sure one of those other 17 movies are worth watching.

So what's my plan? Read the play straight through and be on the lookout for themes and motifs that interest me. Then watch a movie, noticing how the specific adaptation affects my views on the play. Hopefully this way I can completely focus on each media, rather than trying to read along to a movie and get distracted with edits and cuts.

2 comments:

  • Erik | October 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM

    That is really neat that there are 18 versions of your play! I have been finding a few for my own, Richard II, but nowhere near 18! Love's Labour's lost has not turned up many as well. I wonder why that might be? Maybe it is like you said that it has a genuinely intriguing nature, or perhaps the fact that the villain requires 2 pounds of flesh captivates people. Who knows?!

  • acorkin | October 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM

    Merchant of Venice is one of my favorites! I think it's technically a comedy, but there is some harsh mean-ness in the way they treat Shylock... there's always that big question people ask: is Shylock the antagonist or victim?
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter!

Post a Comment